Today, the development of communication technologies and the mediatization of society have a profound impact on professional media work. Educational institutions are faced with the important task of following the ongoing changes in the media markets in order to make informed decisions for providing and maintaining a high standard of education.
At the same time, there is still a lack of theoretical concepts and empirical studies regarding the development, change and adaptiveness of media education. Educational issues are being treated within the realm and focus of different fields (journalism studies, public relations, advertising research, educational science, …) but rarely as a topic in itself that integrates the diverse angles.
Our aim is to foster the relationship between journalism and communication education institutions in Europe in order to advance communication and exchange in higher and continuing education research and practice. We want to provide a platform for researchers and educators interested in advancing our theoretical, empirical and practical understanding of media education, both for media professionals and audiences in mediatized societies.
Due to the wide range of possible research topics, the group encourages diverse approaches beyond disciplinary boundaries, for example…
- Comparative research on European media education systems, their history and development
- Ethics in journalism, PR and advertising education
- Media competence training and education, both in the realm of professional/higher education and secondary education/pedagogy
- Innovative approaches in journalism and media education programs
- (Quality) management in professional media education
- Media education didactics.